Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Exploring a new image in dance field



 Picture resource: Cloud Gate Dance Company - Moon Water.  Choreographer : Lin Hwai-min

For me, this class is not my requirement but I always want to know more information about how to use technology in dance. Merce Cunningham is a dance technology pioneer. He created the computer choreography program DanceForms, and he experimented regularly with motion capture technology.  Using technology in my dance choreography is always my dream but I afraid to try. I thought movement could be simple as possible and the audience should watch the original beauty by dancers' simple body alignment. Nerveless, after watched Cunningham's piece, Cedar Lake Ballet, internet 2 or any other media with dance works, I feel that this technological innovation have given rise to new dance field. It is worth to discover and investigate.

2 comments:

  1. Do people use DanceForms to create choreography, to keep a record of it, or both? Just curious, as it is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe some choreographers do use this software to create choreography. It looks complexated to me but i'd love to try one day!
    Check this website: http://www.merce.org/about/danceforms.php

    ReplyDelete